Friday 16 May 2014

Elderflower & Dandelion Scones with Elderflower Lemon Curd


I'm very honoured to be hosting the final tea and scones blog party on behalf of TSA.

Tuberous Sclerosis Complex (TSC) is a rare genetic condition that can cause epilepsy, learning disabilities, autism spectrum disorder and renal problems; those affected may also have tumours on vital organs. 

There is currently no cure for TSC, so the Tuberous Sclerosis Association (TSA) is inviting the nation to host Tea and Scones for TSC parties to raise funds and awareness. Money raised from the tea parties will help the TSA support affected families and fund much needed medical research.

So, I've thought long and hard to come up with a new take on the traditional British institution of scones and jam and me being me, I felt I should bring in some of my foraging passion to the proceedings.

I'd seen lots of elderflowers about while whizzing through the countryside in the car, admittedly it's very early for them but I didn't anticipate I'd have to hunt quite so high and low for them locally.  They are just starting to appear though, and in a couple of weeks it won't be too hard to spot them among the frothy white mass of cow parsley and hawthorn blossom.

Elder bushes and trees are often found in hedgerows; on the edges of woods and in parks; car parks; lay bys and waste ground, so it shouldn't be to hard for even urban foragers to find them.  My recipe plans were also blighted by the council mower who came round yesterday and chopped down all the dandelions, so I had to rely on only 5 that I had in the garden - next time I'll definitely add more because I love the golden yellow flecks the petals give to the scones.

The scones are lightly fragrant with flecks of petals and tiny flowers throughout.  The lightly floral but tangy lemon curd is the perfect accompaniment to them.



For the scones you'll need:

500g self-raising flour (plus extra for dusting)
2 tsp baking powder
325g butter
25g caster sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
300ml milk
Approx 5 large heads of elderflowers
Approx 8-10 dandelion flowers

(Makes approx 12 large scones)

Take 3 of your elderflower heads and gently shake to remove any bugs - don't wash or you'll rinse away all the fragrance.  Pop them flowers first into a bowl or jug.  Heat up your milk in a pan then pour over the flowers and leave to cool and infuse - don't worry, the flowers will turn brown!

Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees F.  Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.

In your largest mixing bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder.  Then rub in the butter with your fingers until the texture is crumbly.

Snip off the yellow petals of the dandelions with scissors or pull out with your fingers.  Pull off the flowers from the elderflower florets - take care not to get any green parts as these taste bitter.  I like to do this in a white bowl so you can see and rescue any bugs!

Add the sugar to your butter and flour mix, tip on the petals and stir.

Strain your elderflower flavoured milk through a sieve (it should now be cold) and stir into your mixture. Once it begins to come together, mix with your hands and turn out your spongy dough onto a floured worktop.

Roll out gently to about 3cm thick and using a round cutter, cut out your scones.

Place on your baking trays and bake for approximately 12-15 minutes until risen and golden brown.

Sprinkle with caster sugar and allow to cool a little before serving.


For the elderflower lemon curd you'll need:

50g unsalted butter
2 large free range eggs
100g caster sugar
grated zest and juice of 2 large unwaxed lemons
2 or 3 elderflower heads
3 or 4 tablespoons boiling water

(Makes 1 jar)

Grate the zest of your lemons and set aside.  Then squeeze the juice into a bowl.  To this add your flower heads, flowers down, then pour over the hot water - you don't want too much to dilute the juice, but enough to bring out the fragrance of the flowers and allow it to infuse.  Leave to cool.  Ideally you want to leave this for an hour or two.

Meanwhile melt your butter in a saucepan and leave to cool.

Beat the eggs and caster sugar together until pale and smooth.  Add the lemon zest and mix.  Strain your floral lemon juice and add this to the mixture and stir.  Add in the melted butter.

Place the bowl over a pan of water over a moderate heat and stir slowly but continuously with a wooden spoon.  It will take around 15-20 minutes, but as soon as you feel it start to thicken and coat the back of the spoon, remove it from the heat and pour into a sterilised jar.  

Chill before serving.







Why not host your own Tea and Scones for TSC party - visit tuberous-sclerosis.org.uk for more information, and share your photos and recipes with @UKTSA #TeaandSCones

Other recipes you might like:

Dandelion Cookies
Elderflower and Rhubarb Cordial
Elderflower Granita
Elderflower and Rhubarb Custard Tart

Do check out the other bloggers taking part in #TeaandSCones week:

The Book Sniffer
Mammasaurus
Bake Good
The Garden Smallholder 

14 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing - a real old fashioned treat. I'll be looking out for elderflowers later down by the canal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just when I thought I'd had enough scones you bring out the big guns! *dribbles*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was only talking about lemon curd yesterday and saying that you don't seem to see it very much any more and then this! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Those scones...i could eat them right now just off the screen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both the scones, and the lemon curd sound delicious. What a great cause too (and I LOVE your photos!) :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a really lovely idea for a twist on the cream tea. I would never in a million years have considered adding dandelion petals to a scone recipe and I am just going to have to try it now! We have loads of them and I only ever dip them in batter to cook. Your idea is much more refined :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous...looks so yum, beautifully photographed too may I say x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word, they look totally amazing. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't tell you how much I love this post. It is simply gorgeous. I love the colours and the thought of home made scones which are my favourite treat ever is just a bit too much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I probably haven't had a scone in about twenty years, but I think that may be about to change! Gorgeous post - beautiful photos x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow I am loving your photos, very nicely styled. I haven't had scones for a long time, but they look and sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty Liz and looks absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my this looks delicious, when can I pop over for a scone? So beautifully styled too

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete